Thursday, May 15, 2014

locked out

*i just want to get this typed up today before i forget to blog about it*

we have been in our new house for a week now. and one thing we love, love love about it is the fenced in back yard. we have a sliding door right off our kitchen/dining area that leads out to it....

this door has a few issues locking, so we have this metal pole that we put down, just for added measure....

it goes down in the track like so.....

during the day though, when we are in and out through the door, i usually just prop it up......
see it?

soooo..... this morning.... late morning.... 11:30ish morning..... brooklynn was in her bed napping and paker wanted me to come out and eat a snack with him on that little table and chairs we have. so out i went.... with the pole propped up. 

for some reason, instead of just keeping the sliding door opened and closing the screen door, i slid the sliding door almost closed.... leaving 3 or 4 inches of it opened like so....

as i squeezed my booty into one of the teeny tiny chairs i heard something inside fall.... not even giving it a second thought. parker and i sat out there for a few minutes eating goldfish and talking about bugs, when i decided i was thirsty. i got up out of the teeny tiny chair, got to the sliding door, went to slide it open, andddddd............................. it doesnt budge........ 

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!! that sound i heard wasnt just some toy falling off the counter... oh no, no, no, no..... it was the stupid metal rod falling perfectly into its place inside the track.... GAHHHH!!!!

sheer panic set in as i thought (or maybe said out loud .... so sorry parker!) what the **EFFIN BLEEP** am i supposed to do now?!?!? 

im locked outside of my house with my three year old ...who has no shoes on.... without my phone. while my baby girl sleeps inside. thanks goodness she was alseep in her bed!

as my heart pounded faster and faster, and i could feel the panic rising into my chest, and then my throat, i tried squeezing parker through the tiny gap, as he screamed, no mommy! OWIE! his darn head was just too big to get through the gap.... 

with my adrenaline pumping i pull as hard as i can on the door, hoping maybe by some miracle i can crush the metal pole HA, ya right.  i contemplated just kicing through the window... LOL.... also ya right.... but i pulled myself together....

with my body still on the verge of a panic attack, i knew i needed to get to a phone to call jared so he could rescue me. 

i take parkers hand and we walk around to the front of the house. as i stare at all my neighbors houses around me contemplating which door i was going to knock on, and sound like a complete lunatic asking them to borrow their phone....

 then i remembered just on monday, our neighbor 2 doors down brought us a loaf of yummy, still warm might i add, banana bread. her and her husband (bonnie and daivd beck) are in our ward, and just so happen to be retired. praying they would be home we walk over and ring the door bell.... 

no answer..... of course.....

parker pushes it one more time as im turning around to figure out my next move when the door opens, and there stands a very elderly lady....who needs to use a walker.... at the door. this doesnt look like the bonnie i met a few days ago, but i ask her if i can borrow her phone, multiple times as she is hard of hearing, trying to explain to her what has happened. we shuffle back into the kitchen, i see a house phone, and pick it up to call jared, while this older lady gave parker 2 chocolate candies. 

i dial jareds number, and it rings... and rings... and rings... of couse.... no answer. but i leave a message, saying something along the lines of i locked me and parker out of the house, and brooklynn is still in there by herself.... and i need him to come home and let me in. i look up out the sliding door to the backyard and see both bonnie and david working... 

so i step outside and say hello, reintroduce myself to them, and explain the situation.... we decide maybe we can get a hanger through the opening and somehow lift the metal pole.... as we walk back inside their home, the elderly lady (who i soon learn is bonnie's mother who now lives with them) tells us the phone has rang, but she was too slow to get to it to answer. we look up the number and sure enough, its jared. 

so, i call him back, and of course no answer again.... david comes back into the living room with a wire hanger and as we are heading out the door, the phone rings again, and its jared. PHEW! we decide its better for him to just come home and let us in then trying to see if this hanger theory we have will work. 

remember how i said we moved out into farmland idaho? ya, work is not a very close place to our house... its about 16 miles. so parker and i stay at the beck's house chatting for a few minutes while we wait. im so embarrassed about the whole situation, but they had to tell me about a time they did the same thing.  

they told me to make a copy of our house key and bring it over, in case i ever need it again, jared wont have to make the trek all the way back home in the middle of the day. 

we chat for a few more minutes, as i thank them over and over again and walk back down to our house to wait for jared. he shows up just a few minutes later laughing and shaking his head.... ive never been so relieved to see him! when we get back inside i walk to brooklynn's room to see her still sleeping peacfully... completely oblivious to the terror that just rang through my body...

now that its all said and done, i cant help but laugh. but my goodness i thought life was just about over for a few minutes there. ay yi yi! 

ever been locked out of your house before?

4 comments:

alyssa said...

oh my gosh my heart would be in my butt if that happened to me!! glad jared was able to rescue you! brett works an hour away so i'd be so screwed!

Unknown said...

Yeah, you should really have another copy of the house’s key and bring it with you all the time. Maybe you could keep it in your wallet, or anything you always carry around with you. Good thing Jared’s workplace is nearby, and that your neighbors were nice enough to help you out. Good day!

Joyce Roberson @ Locksmiths London

Patrick Armeen said...

So glad to hear everything ended up working out. I would also be freaked out if that happened to me. I feel like one of these days it might just happen to me and I just want to make sure I have a spare key with me all the time. Great blog and well written keep it up. Thank you.

Earl Mark @ Eastway Lock

Ronald Armeen said...

Oh that is the most frustrating thing. I have done this a few times. I have done it at my house, at different friends and family member's homes and at hotels. I am a forgetter of keys and I never seem to learn my lesson well enough. Over the years it seems that more and more doors are self locking.

Giovanni @ Coastal Contract Hardware